There is a C of E church, St James. It has a congregation of about 20. It shares its vicar with St Paul's Hasland but is a parish in its own right. It offers 2 services per week.
The church is the only readily available space in the village and is used for a number of other activities including fund raising events and social events as well as for parish Council meetings and various other public meetings. It is also used for a range of activities such as Yoga and Inner Wheel. Villagers looking for other denominations or faiths can find them in local villages and towns.
The first church was built in the village before the Norman Conquest and it was replaced by a stone church in Victorian times. Subsidence from mining at the Grassmoor Collieries nearby made the church unsafe and it was replaced by a wooden building in 1922. This temporary structure couldn't stand up to the strong westerly winds and was itself replaced by the 4th building to stand on the site, this time made of fibreglass